Monday, April 17, 2017

New Videos Show Animation Work Done by Past Interns

A few days ago I posted an article telling that the Flash Animation projects done by interns between 2007 and 2011 were no longer view-able because browsers no longer support that technology.

I found a way to view them, by downloading a swfplayer and opening the projects that way. It works, but I doubt many will do this.

So I also innovated a way to create videos, using my phone's camera, and a $10 tripod, to show what's in these projects. Below is one that I created today that shows the resources in the Tutor/Mentor Connection library.


If you visit this page you will see a video link to other Flash Animation projects.

While this will show the work that was done, and hopefully inspire other students and volunteers to create their own visualizations showing the same projects that past interns have worked on, the fact that these were created before 2011 creates other problems.

Mainly, many links are broken.  

Thus, if you do use the swfplayer to view the project, nearly half the links no longer point to the specific page they are intended to show. I'd love to find a way to go into the programming for these and update the links, but I'm not sure how much benefit that will offer.

For now, this is a work-around solution. I'm sure if you're looking at the videos I've created or the blog article I write at the Tutor/Mentor blog site, you might say "I can do that better."  That's true. And that's an invitation to you and others to do this work yourself.

If you're a student, educator or someone else concerned with problems in your community, and see the need to create greater public involvement in learning about problems and potential solutions, enlisting young people to help attract those who could help would be a good way to start.

That's what I've been trying to do.

No comments: